Monday, September 6, 2010

The Day I've Always Dreamed Of!!!

September 4th, 2010 will be a day that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life. It is the day that the love of my life, Patrick, asked me to marry him! Being the epitome of a girlie-girl, I had envisioned this day my entire life - millions of times, each a different scenario. I can say now that the actual day, moments leading up to it and the actual big moment were so much more then I had ever envisioned! Patrick outdid my expectations - tenfold! My engagement story was tailor-made to fit me and everything that makes up my life. Patrick put so much thought into every details and I can honestly say there is not one thing he could have done to make that day more perfect! Gosh, I love this man so much! I am so excited to share with ya'll our engagement story!!! Here goes...I am the luckiest woman in the world!

First I have to backtrack...Thursday, September 2nd, Patrick played the game of his life with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played Special Teams,Outside Linebacker Inside Linebacker (He normally just plays the first two positions...) He was all over the place and making plays left and right. He rocked! I had friends and family texting me quotes from the commentators saying what a great game Patrick was playing and how it seemed he had earned himself a roster spot. We were so excited and so hopeful for the following day, the dreaded "cut-day". My world kinda crashed down on me a bit when I learned that Patrick had not made the cut, that he would no longer be playing with the Steelers. I felt sad for him and I felt sad myself, it was just a huge bummer. We put on our strong faces though and met up with some friends at one of our favorite local spots "Legends". We tried to have a good time, but given the circumstances it was just difficult.

The next morning (the morning of our engagement!!) I asked Patrick if I could take him to breakfast and he said yes. We went to Bob Evans for some BELT's and during breakfast I told him we should do something fun that night. I suggested Dave and Busters. We always have a great time there and I thought this is just what he needs to make him feel better! After breakfast Patrick said "I changed my mind, lets get dressed up tonight and go somewhere nice. How's the Cheesecake Factory sound?" Well I love the Cheesecake Factory and he knows this so I was all game. After breakfast he went to workout and I went to the mall :-) After, I stopped at my sister Katie's house to visit with my new nephew Teddy! While there I got a text from Patrick saying "I'm excited about tonight. Be picking you up off you feet in a few hours." after immediate "Aww's" my sister wanted me to dish the details! When I read it to her she said "Do you think you're getting engaged tonight?!" I explained to her that this is such a huge time in his life right now and that no, I was absolutely 100% NOT getting engaged tonight! She told me I should get a manicure, just in case. I replied "Katie, I have wasted hundreds of dollars on manicures for dates I thought I was getting engaged on...I'm not wasting another $10...It's not happening tonight given everything that has been going on." Her friend Jenn was there and said "Don't get one and then it will probably happen, that's how those things happen!" We all laughed and I was off to get ready for our big date night - sans the manicure lol.

All dressed up in my new skirt and a favorite sweater, Patrick picked me up and we were off to the Cheesecake Factory for our dinner. He looked super handsome in his dress pants and pink button-down shirt. We looked totally over-dressed for The Cheesecake Factory and I remember asking him as we walked into the restaurant hand-in-hand if we were going to do anything after - haha! He replied "We'll see". He ordered a Hawaiian Pizza and I ordered my usual Chicken Maderia. We capped dinner off with a piece of their newest peanut butter cheesecake. Patrick ate all his pizza, half of my meal and a big portion of the cheesecake so he definitely wasn't acting different or out of the norm - haha! He didn't seem nervous at all. It just seemed like another date with my boyfriend!

During dinner Patrick pitched the idea of going to see a movie. We decided on "Despicable Me" or "Dinner With The Schmucks". Plan was he would drop me off, I'd get into something more comfortable and he would visit his friend and former teammate Fox who "had to tell him something by the end of the night" then he would get me and we'd be off to the movies. As we got closer to my house Patrick was kissing my hand, which isn't out of the norm. I did notice that he kissed my ring finger though but didn't think too much about it. We kissed goodbye and as I was barely out of his car he sped away...like almost left marks on the ground sped away! This was out of the norm!! Patrick ALWAYS watches me get into my house and waves goodbye. I was kinda puzzled by it but none the less walked to my door. When I get there I found this...


At this point I knew something was up! I was so excited that I could barely think straight let alone read and follow the directions inside the envelope - haha! And I surely didn't want to ruin the surprise and miss out! So after many calls to Patrick he finally picked up and helped me through the first brain-teaser...a play on words that read "I Love You". After, I was instructed to grab the pile of envelopes in my mailbox...


and match them up with the symbols drawn on my steps.



Once matched I was instructed to open them. Inside the first was a scrapbook page that had a picture of our friend Roy Lewis, who helped in setting us up. It read "There once was a thought". Then I opened the second and this scrapbook page said "That they put into a plan" with a picture of our friend Jordy...another culprit in our set-up! The third page held a picture of "SoHo" the bar/restaurant we first met at and said "Choosing this as a setting it all began..." I will not proceed to go through every scrapbook page that he wrote (because there are 37 of them!!!) but basically for every step there is in my house, Patrick left an envelope holding a scrapbook page with a rose on top. Each page had a memory of our relationship from the beginning to where we were at in the present! Each scrapbook page symbolized another "step" we took in our relationship!!! Before I go on you must see what he did!


This continued up three more flights of stairs up to my bedroom!


So many thoughts were swirling around in my head! Is he going to propose? Who helped him set this all up? And where is he? All the while weeping my eyes out at all the memories and captions on each page! All of my questions were soon answered! As I reached the final step and final envelope I was at my bedroom door. I swung open the door to find Patrick waiting there!!! As I closed the door behind me he said "And now I know you're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with." At this point I knew all too well what was going to happen and I just wanted to hug him! I remember trying to and he stiff-armed me (hahah!) as he got down on one knee! Gosh I'm crying again as I type this! He then asked me to marry him!!! I said YES and wrapped my arms around him and sat on his knee just hugging and kissing him! It was hands down the most amazing moment of my entire life! I never felt so much love and emotion, it was amazing and perfect! After a little while he kind of lifted me off his knee and did the ring presentation. I couldn't even see it through the tears pouring out of my eyes! He slipped it on my finger and we hugged and kissed some more! It was amazing! He then waved at something and as my eyes adjusted I saw his video camera sitting on my dresser capturing the entire moment! He then asked me if I wanted to see his "help". I said yes and then asked "How did you get in here?!" as I only have one entrance into my house and clearly I went in it! I went outside to find his PARENTS sitting on my deck...they flew in from San Antonio, Texas just for the engagement!!! How awesome and amazing is that?! It was so special having them here to share in the moment! I then learned how Patrick got into the house before I did...from a fire escape ladder hanging from the deck!


He climbed up this thing!!! If that isn't love I don't know what is! I mean he could have fallen, he could have not been able to get up them...it just blows my mind thinking about it! Best part...Patrick's parents got his arrival on the ladder on video!!! We are working on getting the entire engagement edited together so all can enjoy it :-) As soon as it is done I will post it on here and also on Facebook :-) We wouldn't want our audience to have to wait the nearly 22 minutes Patrick waited for me as I made it in the house.

This man put so much thought and time into this one day! I can't even begin to tell you how much it all meant to me. I'm typing this through the blare of tears once again. Gosh! If you read my blogs on a regular basis you know I'm usually not at a loss for words, this kind of thing comes easy for me. But I don't even know what to say, words can't even begin to express the love I feel for him and the happiness that is running through my body! He is amazing on so many levels and has made me feel so special and loved. God, I love him so much! We really are so blessed! My mom always told me "Mag, God has someone very special picked out for you and you will find him someday." Well my mom was right! God did have it all planned out! I just don't know what I did in life to deserve such a master plan! I just just feel so overjoyed and blessed!


We spent the rest of the night sharing our special news with family and friends. We both agreed we wanted everyone closest to us to find out either in person (if possible) or through a personal phone call. Only after we got ahold of all those people did we post it on Facebook (although it had already leaked out a bit - haha). I speak for both of us when I say thank you for all of your love and support. We've had so many heartfelt wishes sent our way and each one really means so much to us!

Gosh, I didn't even get to dish on the ring! It's STUNNING! He sure did pick out a sparkler!


He got it at Henne Jewelers in Pittsburgh and did an amazing job! It's a big brilliant cut solitaire diamond with a simple band. The diamond is so clear - I just can't stop looking at it! It often times catches the light as a type and just draws me to it...something I can (and will!) get used to! I don't know how big it is, what kind of metal was used in the setting, or the grade of diamond (I will find all this out tomorrow evening though) but it's just beautiful! It's amazing, I had always told him what I specifically wanted and through the engagement I didn't even look at the ring for the longest time! We women make such a big deal over the diamond but when it comes down to it, it's all about the moment...I never realized this until it was my moment :-) It is stunning though and I am totally in love with it! I am so lucky! I wake up in the middle of the night and I look at it and I look at it throughout the day constantly. I have to have passed look number one-thousand and it's only been 2 days!


You would think right there would be enough news for one weekend but we have one more exciting bit of information to share...Sunday afternoon we were alerted that Patrick has been picked up by the Tennessee Titans!!! Patrick had roughly 5 hours to pack his bags and get on a plane to Nashville. Gosh, it wasn't even 24 hours from the engagement before I had to say goodbye to him! Although I was sad to say goodbye so soon, I was also so happy and proud of him for catching the Titans eye! His first practice is today and his first game is on Sunday vs. the Oakland Raiders! Get this...Game #2 is vs. none other then the Pittsburgh Steelers...how's that for irony?! It's crazy!! And I kid you not, at breakfast on the day of the engagement I asked Patrick where he would ideally like to get picked up, he said "the Tennessee Titans"! I am SO exited to see what Tennessee has in store for us!

For now though, our immediate plans include me staying in Pittsburgh. I have an awesome job and a brand new home here that I need to focus on while Patrick is focusing on his new job. While he's away I will have plenty of time to plan our wedding and make it another magical and amazing day in our lives! We have not yet set a date but have narrowed it down to either March 19th or March 26th! That gives me just over 6 months to pull everything together!!! It's not ideal but my sister planned her wedding in 6 months so I know it is do-able! I've got my work cut out for me, and fortunately I have amazing family and friends to help me along the way!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my final "Maggie Moment"! Don't fret, your little blogger isn't quitting on you I'm just opting for a name change :-) It's no longer just about me and my moments. So please stay tuned to all the wedding plans in my new blog, "Becoming Bailey" :-) Maggie Bailey...has a nice ring to it doesn't it!? :-)

4 comments:

  1. My heart is so warmed reading this...tearing up again! Patrick really went above and beyond. Men, please take note ...THAT is how you propose to a girl. Looking forward to helping any way I can with your most special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up too while reading this and looking at the pictures! Love the new name for the blog. So happy for you Mags! :)

    (you know you have to get a DQ ice cream cake for the reception, specially decorated by Bev and Erin hahah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IIIIII LOOOOVE every last detail!! :) And I love the "Becoming Bailey" idea....and had so already thought to myself yesterday that Maggie Bailey sounds so great together, ha! And what is with us having so many random things in common all the time?? But of the entire 500 page Cheesecake Factory menu, Chicken Madiera is my "go to" too! Ha! Can't wait for Becoming Bailey wedding details! Let me know if there's anything I can do from a distance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the family Maggie! Love the "becoming Bailey"....we are soooooo excited for you both. Weddings have become close to my heart this year so if I can be of any help....well, you know what to do! My first piece of advice to you about planning the weddng is to enjoy every minute of it. Try not to let the little things get you stressed out. Keep focused on what is really important...believe it or not I learned that from Brook! Debbie

    ReplyDelete